Huron County, Ontario – On April 6, 2022, the County of Huron ended the State of Emergency that was declared on March 24, 2020 in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Municipalities may declare state of emergencies in accordance with the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.
“While recent announcements from the Province of Ontario and public health officials are encouraging and certainly welcome, it’s important to remember that COVID-19 continues to circulate in our community.” said Huron County Warden, Glen McNeil. “Ending the State of the Emergency in Huron is an important step toward returning to usual operations at the County. We will continue to prioritize the health and safety of staff and residents, adapting when required.”
The 2020 State of Emergency was declared for the following reasons:
- To allow the County of Huron to act on measures that fall under its authority and are considered necessary to preserve the health, safety and welfare of residents;
- To raise public awareness regarding the gravity of the current COVID-19 pandemic situation;
- To protect volunteers that may be called to assist;
- To preserve the rights of the County for future compensation should it become available; and
- To ensure the organization can quickly respond to other unforeseen events, should they arise.
“I thank every person in the Huron County community, especially our healthcare agencies and front-line workers, for their unprecedented efforts over the past two years to keep us safe and well. The County continues to value these important contributions as we enter the next phase in our community’s response and recovery.” added Warden McNeil.
As local and provincial restrictions begin to ease, residents can expect County services and operations to continue to adjust according to the latest recommendations of health authorities.
The County of Huron asks the community to continue respecting all public health guidelines in response to COVID-19. Stay informed on the COVID-19 situation in Huron County by visiting www.HPPH.ca.