Warden is the term used to describe the Head of a County Council. The Municipal Act, 2001 brought enhanced responsibilities and flexibility to local government, as well as greater authority and accountability. According to the Municipal Act, it is the duty of the Head of Council, or Warden to:
- Act as chief executive officer of the municipality;
- Preside over council meetings;
- Provide leadership to the council;
- Represent the municipality at official functions; and,
- Carry out the duties of the head of council under this or any other Act.
At the November 30, 2022 inaugural meeting, Glen McNeil, Mayor of the Township of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh, was elected as Warden of Huron County for the 2023-2024 term.