What is 9-1-1?

9-1-1 is a phone number that connects you to emergency ambulance, fire or police assistance. This emergency phone service is available throughout Huron County and most of North America.

When should I call 9-1-1?

Call 9-1-1 whenever you or someone with you is in a life-threatening situation. These situations include when someone needs emergency medical help, to report a fire or a crime in progress.

The following are a few examples of when you should call 9-1-1 immediately for emergency medical care:

  • severe pains or tightness in the chest,
  • shortness of breath,
  • a person is choking or having difficulty breathing,
  • anyone found unconscious,
  • a suspected fractured or broken bone,
  • severe bleeding,
  • sudden, severe headaches, vision problems, weakness, numbness and/or tingling in the face, arm or leg, trouble speaking or dizziness; and
  • if a child has diarrhea or vomiting, won’t drink and is at risk of becoming severely dehydrated.

Remember: If you have any doubts, call 9-1-1. The paramedics will take you to the appropriate emergency department.

I accidentally dialled 9-1-1!

If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, stay on the line to tell the 9-1-1 operator that everything is okay. If you hang up before speaking with the operator, they will call you back and/or dispatch a police vehicle to investigate the situation. Do not call 9-1-1 for non-emergencies – it takes services away from people who do need them.

What happens when I call 9-1-1?

The 9-1-1 operator will ask if you require ambulance, fire or police assistance. Your call will be quickly transferred to the appropriate emergency dispatcher.

Stay on the line and be prepared to answer all questions asked; answering questions does not delay emergency response. For medical emergencies, be prepared to answer the questions related to the patient’s condition.

  • Is the patient conscious?
  • Is the patient breathing?
  • What is the address or location (e.g., main intersection) of where the patient is located?
  • What phone number you are calling from?
  • What is your name?

Stay on the line until the 9-1-1 operator tells you it’s okay to hang up.

Be prepared

Make sure you and your children know your complete address and phone number. If you live in a town or village, know the name, street and house number. If you live in a rural area know your municipality, road name and civic address number. Residents should regularly check to make sure their civic address number is clearly visible from the road.

What to do in an emergency?

In the event of a medical or traumatic emergency, the most important thing to remember is to remain calm. Always remember the following points:

  • stay calm and give clear information to the 9-1-1 operator,
  • provide accurate directions to your location,
  • do not move the patient, unless his or her life is being threatened,
  • make sure someone stays with the person requiring help,
  • if additional help is available, have someone meet the ambulance and direct the paramedics to the patient,
  • if your call is at night, turn on the outside lights of your house, or the four-way flashers of your vehicle, so paramedics can see your location; and
  • if you live in an apartment, try to have someone meet the paramedics at the lobby door.

For non-emergency calls

Ambulance, police and fire departments throughout Huron County all have administrative telephone numbers to receive non-emergency calls. In these cases, use the following telephone numbers:

Police Ontario Provincial Police – Huron Detachment: 519.524.8314
Wingham Police Services: 519.357.1214
Ambulance Emergency Medical Services: 519.524.8394 ext. 3507
Fire Refer to your area telephone book blue pages to contact your local fire department

Make sure your civic address is visible at all times.

How do I order a new or replacement civic address number for my rural property?

Contact your local municipal office.

I live in an urban area, are there specific requirements for the size and placement of my house number?

It is recommended that your house number be at least 5 inches in height and be made of reflective material. The placement should be on the front of the house or building facing the roadway.

Do not place the number where it may become blocked from view by a vehicle, foliage, seasonal decorations or snow.

For some properties, it may be wise to place one number at the roadway on the privacy fence or gate and one number on the house itself. This address can be used by others for reporting an emergency involving your property or for those requiring assistance on the roadway.