Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I go for a land severance (consent)?

The County of Huron is the approval authority for consent applications within Huron County with the exception of lands within Goderich where the Town of Goderich is the approval authority. An electronic copy of the required application form is available online. Paper copies are available at the Huron County Planning and Development Department office in Goderich, or at your local municipal office. Before submitting an application, you should speak to the Planner responsible for your municipality. Completed application forms should be returned, along with the required fee, to the Planning and Development Department office.

What is the process for a consent (severance) application?

Consult with County Planning staff. They will tell you how to apply, what supporting material you must provide, if there are any special land severance requirements set out in the county or municipal official plans and what other permits and approvals may be required.

Where can I get a copy of the County Official Plan or local municipal Official Plans?

Copies of the County Official Plan may be obtained by contacting the Planning and Development Office at 519.524.8394, extension 3, or may be viewed online. Each of the nine local municipalities within the county has its own Official Plan and Zoning By-laws to regulate land use; copies may be viewed by contacting the local municipal office or the Planning and Development Department. The municipalities of Ashfield-Colborne-Wawanosh, Bluewater, Central Huron, HowickHuron East, South Huron and Town of Goderich have made copies of their Official Plan and By-laws available online.

What is a Zoning By-law?

A Zoning By-law controls the use of land in your community. It specifies the permitted uses of land (e.g. commercial or residential) and the required standards (i.e., building size and location) in each municipality’s different land use zones.

What is the Ontario Municipal Board?

When people can’t resolve their differences on community planning issues, the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) provides a public forum for resolving disagreements. Members are appointed by the Ontario government, forming an independent, adjudicative tribunal that hears appeals and applications on land use disputes.