Minor Variances

If your proposed property change does not comply exactly to the zoning by-law, but follows its general intent, you can apply for a minor variance. For example, you may want to locate something on your property but the shape of your lot won’t let you meet the minimum setback distance.

Local municipalities have approval authority for Minor Variances. To find out whether your proposed change can be considered as a minor variance, you should contact the Planning and Development Department or your local municipal office.

There is an application form and fee required with this process.


  • pdf
    User Guide to the Minor Variance Process
  • pdf
    Minor Variance Application