Climate change and energy are priorities for the County of Huron. The County is currently taking action to mitigate climate change and prepare for the future, as well as improve the management of energy in our facilities.
The County is currently taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and prepare for the future impacts of climate change. Some of our ongoing initiatives include:
- Being a member of the Partners for Climate Protection program,
- Monitoring and tracking greenhouse gas emissions from our buildings and vehicles,
- Determining how the local area will be impacted by climate change, and
- Developing a climate adaptation plan to ensure we are prepared for future changes.
The County’s efforts to conserve energy within our corporation are ongoing. Improving how we manage energy in our facilities helps us reduce our environmental impact, become more sustainable, and generate cost savings. Some of our current projects include:
- Monitoring energy consumption in our facilities,
- Achieving energy savings through our Conservation and Demand Management plan,
- Working with staff to further awareness about the importance of energy conservation, and
- Continuing to look for opportunities to become more sustainable.