The Ontarians with Disabilities Act, (ODA) requires all municipalities to prepare accessibility plans. Municipalities, including counties, of 10,000 or more residents are required to have an accessibility advisory committee, with members that are people with disabilities.
The Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee will help make Huron County accessible for people of all abilities.
The Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee is a joint committee with upper and lower tier municipalities (county and towns/townships within its boundaries) working together on accessibility initiatives. Committee is supported by the Accessibility Coordinator and 4 non-voting members.
|Glen McNeil (Warden)|
|Robert Fisher (County Councillor)||Laurie Jacques|
|Debbie Kerley||Charlene O’Reilly|
|Lorie Falconer||Julie Sawchuk|
|Glen McLachlan||Kathleen Sebastian|
- Carol Leeming, Accessibility Coordinator
- Susan Cronin, County Clerk
- Hanna Holman, Planning Department
- Rebekah Msuya-Collison, ODA Working Group Representative
- Building Official, Jenny Zimmer
The Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee shall assist Huron County Council and participating municipalities to fulfill the purpose of the legislation by providing vision, guidance and advice towards the removal of barriers by 2025.
- The authority to establish the Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee originated from the provisions of the Ontarians with Disabilities Act and will continue to exist under the provisions of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- The Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee shall operate in accordance with the procedures set out in this document.
- The Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee is the advisory committee to Huron County Council and participating municipalities for fulfilling the purpose of the Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Legislated Duties and Functions
In fulfilling the purpose of the legislation, the Huron County Accessibility Advisory Committee shall:
- Advise County Council annually regarding the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of the annual accessibility plans of the participating municipalities.
- Advise participating municipalities on the accessibility of buildings, structures or premises that the municipalities lease, purchase, construct or significantly renovate.
- Review in a timely manner and advise municipalities on the accessibility of building plans and drawings for renovations and new construction of public buildings.
- Review development of the exterior to buildings using the Huron County Universal Design and Accessibility Guideline for Site Plan Control.
- Perform other functions specified in the Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
For more information contact:
Susan Cronin, Director of Legislative Services/County Clerk
519.524.8394 ext 3257