Ontario Works

Due to COVID-19, the Ontario Works office will be closed to the public until further notice. Ontario Works staff continue to offer essential services and are available to help. Please call the office at 519.482.8505 if you have questions or seek additional information.

COVID-19 Emergency Assistance

Has there been a change in your household due to COVID-19?

If you need help paying for food and housing and are not already on Ontario Works or ODSP, you can apply for COVID-19 Emergency Assistance.

UWPH Urgent Needs Fund: Individuals

United Way Perth-Huron (UWPH) is making Urgent Needs Funds available, in partnership with the County of Huron Social Services, for individuals and families in need in Huron County. This program includes the Student Nutrition fund from which families with students will be able to apply for funds for groceries.

People looking for help, whether paying a bill or buying groceries to get them through the week, are encouraged to visit perthhuron.unitedway.ca to learn more.

If you would like to speak to one of our representatives please call us at 519.482.8505 ext. 4501.

Completed applications can be submitted to:

UWPH Urgent Needs Fund: Not-For-Profits

The County of Huron has partnered with United Way Perth-Huron and the Urgent Needs Fund to provide immediate funding support to not-for-profit agencies serving Huron County residents. Agencies interested in applying for funding are encouraged to visit perthhuron.unitedway.ca to learn more.

If you would like to speak to one of our representatives please call us at 519.482.8505 ext. 4501.

Completed applications can be submitted to:

Social Services Relief Fund

The Social Services Relief Fund will be available in the coming weeks and months, to address gaps and needs that are identified in Huron County’s social framework.

More information can be found in the County of Huron’s recent press release and information on how to access this funding will be provided in the near future.

Coming soon!

Emergency Assistance

You may qualify for short term emergency assistance if you live in Ontario (not a visitor or tourist), are in a crisis or emergency situation, and do not have enough money for things like food and housing. Examples of a crisis or emergency situation may include:

  • the risk of being evicted from your home
  • safety concerns, such as being in or leaving an abusive relationship

To learn more contact Huron County Social Services:

519.482.8505 or 1.888.371.5718 ext. 4501

or by email owteam501@huroncounty.ca

Ontario Works

Ontario Works (OW) provides income and employment support to people in temporary financial need. Read Applying for Ontario Works for more information.  Additional resources and forms can be found at the bottom of this page.

People receiving financial assistance through OW participate in a wide range of employment assistance activities which help them prepare for, find and keep a job. To be eligible for OW you must be:

  • A resident of Ontario
  • In immediate financial need
  • Willing to participate in employment assistance activities

The amount of money you may receive from OW will vary depending upon your circumstances, such as family size, income, assets and housing costs.

Ontario Works is an Ontario-wide program that municipalities deliver according to provincial regulations and rules. The province shares the cost of delivering OW with municipalities. This program combines income support with employment services. It has two main components:

  1. Employment Assistance: It provides opportunities for participants to engage in a variety of activities that lead to jobs or increase employment prospects.
  2. Financial Assistance: Includes funds to cover food, shelter, clothing and other household items for people who have no other means of support. The province sets the benefit rates.

Clients are first assessed to determine whether they are in financial need. Most people who receive Financial Assistance must participate in an Employment Assistance activity to remain eligible.


  • pdf
    Authorization for Direct Bank Deposit
  • pdf
    Employment Travel/Mileage
  • pdf
    Mandatory Special Necessities Benefit
  • pdf
    Medical Travel/Mileage
  • pdf
    Rental Information
  • pdf
    Request for Internal Review
  • pdf
    Social Benefits Tribunal Appeal Form
  • pdf
    Income Reporting Statement
  • pdf
    Child Care Calendar - Income Reporting
  • pdf
    Child Care Calendar - Non-Income Reporting

Contact Information

Should you have any questions or concerns relating to any aspect of Ontario Works, please contact us.

Huron County Ontario Works
Jacob Memorial Building
77722D London Road, RR 5
Clinton, Ontario N0M 1L0 (Get directions)

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Telephone: 519-482-8505
Toll-Free: 1-888-371-5718
Fax: 519-482-1632