Support for Ukrainians fleeing conflict in Huron County

Canada announced a series of measures in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

As Canada’s immigration response evolves quickly, many pathways have opened for Ukrainians to come to Canada through expedited processes. None of the measures announced thus far align with Canada’s formal refugee resettlement programs.

This document is a resource to help Huron County residents support the arrival of Ukrainians. This is up to date as of June 1, 2002.


Welcoming newcomers from Ukraine to Huron County

Ukrainians have arrived in Huron County and we expect to welcome more. We all have a role in welcoming them and helping them get situated in our community.

The Huron County Immigration Partnership is facilitating and assisting appropriate community service responses with newcomer service organizations, community members, organizations and business partners. We are working to get information on government measures and what this means for settlement supports (language training, orientation services), income supports, childcare supports, etc..

Sign up to volunteer to support a Ukrainian family as they settle in Huron County.

If you have questions about the volunteer process, please contact the:

Huron County Immigration Partnership
(519) 524-8394 ext. 6

Canada’s immigration response

As part of the Government of Canada’s response, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is taking measures to make it easier and faster for Ukrainians and people residing in Ukraine to return to Canada and supporting by:

  • Providing them with the ability to work and study via the 3-year Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) visa.  CUAET allows Ukrainians and their immediate family members of any nationality to stay in Canada as temporary residents.
  • Providing one-time financial assistance of $3,000 per adult, $1,500 per child to those who have already arrived in Canada under the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET). The assistance is a one-time, non-taxable benefit and requires the recipient to have a Canadian bank account. The financial assistance is intended to help new arrivals with the CUAET visa take care of basic needs while you get settled in Canada. Learn how to apply
  • Connecting employers who wish to support Ukrainians with offers of employment with Ukrainians seeking work via the Job Bank. Employers can register their offers on the Job Bank website
  • Prioritizing applications for new and replacement travel documents for Canadian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family members.
  • Allowing Ukrainian nationals currently in Canada on a temporary basis to apply to extend their status as a visitor, student or worker.
  • Issuing open work permits to Ukrainian visitors, workers and students who are currently in Canada and cannot go home, so they can stay longer if they wish.
  • Launching a package of new measures including emergency travel authorizations, temporary residence permits, access to open work permits and a special family reunification sponsorship pathway for permanent residence.

For current information on immigration measures for arriving from Ukraine, visit this Government of Canada website.

Settlement support to Ukrainians and newcomers arriving in Huron County

Connect people arriving from Ukraine and other countries to government-funded immigrant services. Government-supported settlement workers from the YMCA of Southwestern Ontario provide free one-on-one assistance to newcomers are they settle in Canada. Settlement workers can assist newcomers by:

  • Completing forms, applications and other documents
  • Navigating local systems such as health care and public school, recreation services, education, taxes and more
  • Finding programs and services within the community
  • Providing referrals to programs and services including counselling, employment services, language assessments, children and youth services, legal issues and refugee other specialized services
  • Communicating with employers, landlords, social and government services, legal services and more
  • Learning about Canadian life and culture
  • Assisting and referrals for licensing and accreditation

Contact the YMCA Southwestern of Ontario
Settlement worker for Huron County: Firas Sefian
Phone: 226-973-7572
If you are located outside of Huron County and would like to get connected with a settlement worker, email:

Other ways to support to Ukrainians and newcomers arriving in Huron County

Community members and organizations can support Ukrainians, as well as other newcomers who are arriving in Huron County in the following ways:

  1. Sign up to volunteer to support Ukrainians and other newcomers to Canada by filling out this survey. Volunteers will be contacted as needs are determined.
  2. Connect people to English language classes and employment services at the Centre for Employment and Learning. Offices are situated in Exeter, Goderich, Clinton, Seaforth and Wingham.
  3. Be a welcoming and inclusive community member. Arriving in a new community having fled war and crisis can be extremely stressful. Being friendly and welcoming goes a long way to making our newest residents feel good as they get to know their new community, make friends and start their new life.
  4. Offer employment through the federal Job Bank. A provincial employment initiative for Ukrainian newcomers connects new arrivals with job search supports and local employers in the community. Email
  5. Make monetary donations to the Salvation Army or the Sunset Community Foundation to support local initiatives for Ukrainians.
  6. Donate clothing and other items via the Salvation Army or the ReStore Habitat for Humanity in Goderich.
  7. Learn about Ukrainian culture by checking out books or films from the Huron County Library. There are language learning tools too if you are inclined to learn some Ukrainian phrases. Signs welcoming newcomers in English and Ukrainian are also available at Huron County Library branches.
  8. Learn about and support local initiatives by signing up for the Immigration Partnership newsletter.

Addressing housing needs

The Huron County Immigration Partnership is working with Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada to utilize their established processes to ensure the safety of both the people offering housing and the arrivals from Ukraine. The housing needs of families varies depending upon their household size and preferences. Hosts are being sought to billet families, along with other housing options.

Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada is a volunteer-run organization that assesses housing offers and pairs host families with appropriate recipients for three months. The three-month minimum commitment allows a family to get connected to services, become oriented to their community and have some time to recuperate as they evaluate their longer term options in Canada.

To date, Ukrainian Diaspora Support Canada has brought more than 100 Ukrainians to Canada, providing them with billeting matches.

Helpful resources for Ukrainians

Newcomer Settlement Services

Newcomer settlement services in Huron County provides information about services and organizations working locally that support newcomers as they settle in our communities

Ukrainian Diaspora Canada Support

The Ukrainian Diaspora Canada Support is a federally registered Canadian Not-For Profit organization that assists and supports Ukrainians displaced by war

Operation Ukrainian Safe Haven

The Operation Ukrainian Safe Haven project is a national and coordinated communications initiative to bridge and link communications and resources with key stakeholders involved with supporting Ukrainians coming to Canada. 

Canadian Ukrainian Immigrant Aid Society

Canadian Ukrainian Immigrant Aid Society provides settlement and orientation services in Ukrainian, including supportive counselling to new arrivals, mobilizing volunteers and coordinating donations and offers of support.

Ukrainian-Canadian Congress

The Ukrainian-Canadian Congress is a national coordinating body that represents Ukrainians, links local Ukrainian organizations together, and offers resources in Ukrainian language. 

Canada-Ukraine Foundation

The Canada-Ukraine Foundation was formed to coordinate, develop, organize, and deliver assistance projects generated by Canadians and directed to Ukraine.

Ontario’s response

Information on immigration and settlement supports offered by the Province of Ontario is available on this website.

How Can We Help?

Huron County Immigration Partnership is always excited to support newcomers to Huron County. Let us know how we can help!

Find Us

57 Napier Street,
Goderich, ON
N7A 1W2


+1 (519) 524-8394 ext.6