Ontario Works is a program which provides financial and employment assistance to people in financial need. Every person has the right to apply for assistance and to have an application taken. Eligibility will depend on your circumstances including assets.
- You may have someone accompany you to the interview.
- We will inform you of any decisions we are planning; to grant, to refuse, to suspend, or to cancel your financial assistance. We will also tell you of any financial decisions we make and our reasons for making them.
- You have the right to appeal decisions made.
- Attend interviews with your worker as required.
- Contact your caseworker promptly if you receive a message or notice that your worker needs to speak to you or requires information.
- Report in advance any absences from Ontario in excess of seven days.
- You must actively look for work or better paying work or participate in an approved employment activity that will improve your opportunities to obtain and keep employment, unless you request and have approval to not participate for a temporary period of time.
- You must tell your worker what employment activities you are participating in.
- Your worker needs to see proof of your income, assets and expenses. Keep receipts and statements such as: pay stubs, bank account statements, rent or mortgage, child care costs, fire insurance, income tax assessments and hydro, water and heating.
- You (your spouse and dependents) must make an effort to obtain income available from all sources and report to your worker any income received.
- You must report any changes in your living arrangements to your worker.
- Report all your assets.
- You are responsible for repaying all overpayments you may have, even after you leave Ontario Works.
- You are responsible for following the rules of the Ontario Works Program, including honest reporting of all circumstances and changes of circumstances that affect eligibility.