Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Huron County Ontario Works?

You can begin the application process for Ontario Works using the Online Application, in person at our office, or over the phone by calling 519.482.8505 or 1.888.371.5718. The process must be completed in person at the local Ontario Works office where you will be required to complete and sign all necessary forms.

Can you tell me if my cheque has been issued?

The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) System provides you with fast and easy access to information about your Social Assistance file over the telephone, toll free. You can use this system to find out the amount and date when your most recent cheque was issued. IVR can be accessed from anywhere in Ontario using a touch-tone telephone to call: 1.800.808.2268. Remember to have your identification number (member ID) and personal identification number (PIN) ready.

Who do I contact If I move, or find a job?

If you are a recipient of Social Assistance, you must report any changes in your circumstances. This includes moving to a different residence, or starting a new job. Call your local Ontario Works office at 519.482.8505 or 1.888.371.5718. Staff are available to take this information from you and answer any questions you may have.

Why don’t I Get the Same amount of assistance As Someone Else?

The amount of money you receive from Ontario Works will vary depending upon your circumstances, such as family size, income, assets and shelter costs, such as rent. Visit the Ontario Works office or call 519.482.8505 or 1.888.371.5718; the staff will be happy to explain the calculation of your assistance.

Who Do I call if I think my neighbour is committing Welfare Fraud?

The Welfare Fraud Hot Line number is available for the public to report suspected cases of Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program fraud. Callers will be asked for the name and address and, if possible, the phone number of the person who may be cheating. Suspected cases may be reported by telephoning 1.800.394.7867.

Additional FAQs about Ontario Works are available from the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

Information about the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), including FAQs about ODSP, are available from the Ministry of Community and Social Services.

Back to top