Huron County, ON – Slips, trips and falls are not a normal part of aging. The Huron County Health Unit encourages everyone, especially older adults, to take steps to prevent falls.
“In Huron County, half of people who are hospitalized for an unintentional injury are there due to a fall,” says Public Health Promoter Alycia Kelly. “The good news is that falls can be prevented.”
To reduce your risk of falling, Kelly shares a few simple tips:
- Keep pathways and halls in your home well-lit and free of clutter.
- Wear shoes that support your feet and have a closed heel.
- Have your eyes checked once a year.
- Talk to your doctor if you ever experience dizziness. There are many causes of dizziness, including some medications.
- Keep active. Regular exercise helps maintain strength and balance.
November is Fall Prevention Month. To learn more about how you can prevent a fall, visit the Injury Prevention page on the Huron County Health Unit website at www.huronhealthunit.ca.