Changes To The Way Social Assistance Clients Access Drug Coverage

September 7, 2016

Starting in September 2016, people receiving social assistance can use their Ontario health card to access the Ontario Drug Benefit program. To prepare for the change, you should get an Ontario health card, if you do not already have one.
Beginning in the late fall of 2016, you will no longer get a monthly drug eligibility card with your statement. Instead, you will use your Ontario health card to access the Ontario Drug Benefit program.
Coverage under the Ontario Drug Benefit program will not change.

Don’t have an Ontario health card? Not eligible to apply for an Ontario health card?
Find out how to get an Ontario health card by visiting your nearest Service Ontario office or calling the ServiceOntario INFOline. It’s free.

Toll-free: 1-888-789-4199

TTY Toll-free: 1-800-387-5559

Find out how to replace or renew your health card at

 If you are not eligible for an Ontario health card, contact your Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP), Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ADSD) or Ontario Works office.
You will continue to get a paper drug eligibility card until you get your Ontario health card.
For more information talk to your caseworker or visit your local social assistance office.











For more information contact:

Social and Property Services, Ontario Works
519.482.8505 (ext 4200)