Calling all Students!
The County of Huron’s
Cultural Services-Museum Department
Seasonal Museum Assistants to Join the Team!
The Huron County Museum and Historic Gaol has seasonal employment opportunities for up to 5 students. These positions will assist with the day-to-day operations of the Museum & Historic Gaol and provide visitor services through the summer season. Each position has a special project assignment based on public programming and events, marketing, collections and exhibits or archival collections.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
Roles and Responsibilities:
2024 projects may include archival reorganization, delivering summer day camps for children aged 5-11, coordination of the annual Behind the Bars first-person interpretation program, special event and outreach coordination for summer events, artifact cataloguing, and/or digital marketing and promotions on the museum’s website and social media. The ideal candidate will enjoy serving the public, be an independent worker and have an avid interest in local history, as well as a demonstrated enthusiasm for sharing those stories with diverse audiences.
- Current post-secondary students studying History, Museum Studies, Indigenous Studies, Education, Library Sciences, Public Relations, Public History, Child and Youth studies, Early Childhood Education, Library Sciences or related fields in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences or Sciences preferred.
- Available to work May through September
- Demonstrated interest in local history, culture or heritage
- Comfortable speaking to the general public
- Creativity & ability to problem solve
- Organizational skills and past volunteer or professional experience planning projects or events within deadlines
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite or equivalent word processing and spreadsheet software
- Previous experience with data entry and/or research using a database an asset
- Experience with photography and photography equipment
- Basic or advanced knowledge of graphic design or photo and video editing software, e.g. Canva, Adobe suite of photo editing software
- Comfort and experience working with young children
- Experience working with cash, debit & credit machines preferred
- A police security clearance check may be required prior to hiring
Hours of work:
- May 6 through September 5 – 35 hours per week as scheduled, weekends required
- Hours of work generally fall between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Evening work is required for some positions
- Hourly wage starting at $16.86 grant-dependent
Some seasonal employment opportunities and projects are grant-dependent. Students should qualify under the Young Canada Works in Heritage Institution program and clearly outline their eligibility in their cover letter and/or resume:
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of the contract
- Full-time student in the previous semester
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Be returning to school in the fall
- Be registered with YCW candidate inventory– youngcanadaworks.ca.
Please forward your letter of application and resume by 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 10, 2024, to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca
Apply in person at our student job fair; taking place on February 22, 2024, between 3:00 pm – 6:30 pm at the Huron County Museum (110 North Street, Goderich ON).
To be considered for this position, please ensure that
- Email subject is “2024 – Seasonal Museum Assistant”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted February 5, 2024
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.