Calling all Students!
The County of Huron’s
Cultural Services-Museum Department
Seasonal Museum Assistants to Join the Team!
The Huron County Museum and Historic Gaol have seasonal employment opportunities for up to 5 students. These positions will assist with the day-to-day operations of the Museum & Historic Gaol and provide visitor services through the summer season. Each position has a special project assignment based on public programming and events, marketing, exhibits or archival collections.
2023 projects may include archival cataloguing, delivering summer day camps, coordination of the annual Behind the Bars first-person interpretation program, special event coordination for summer events, exhibit research for Industry Gallery redevelopment and curation for temporary exhibits, and/or digital marketing and promotions on the museum’s website and social media. The ideal candidate will enjoy serving the public, be an independent worker and have an avid interest in local history, as well as a demonstrated enthusiasm for sharing those stories with diverse audiences.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
- Current post-secondary students studying History, Museum Studies, Indigenous Studies, Education, Library Sciences, Public Relations, Public History, Child and Youth Studies, Library Sciences or related fields in the Humanities, Social Studies or Sciences preferred.
- Available to start May 8thand work through to September
- Demonstrated interest in local history, culture or heritage
- Experience and comfort in speaking with the public
- Creativity & ability to problem solve
- Organizational skills and past volunteer or professional experience planning projects or events within deadlines
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite or equivalent word processing and spreadsheet software
- Previous experience with data entry and/or research using a database as an asset
- Basic or advanced knowledge of Adobe suite photo editing software or similar graphic design software
- Comfort and experience working with young children
- Experience working with cash, debit & credit machines preferred
- A police security clearance check may be required prior to hiring
Hours of work:
- May 8 through September 8th– 35 hours per week as scheduled, weekends required
- Hours of work generally fall between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Evening work is required for some positions
- Hourly wage starting at $16.37 grant-dependent
Some seasonal employment opportunities and projects are grant-dependent. Students should qualify under the Young Canada Works in Heritage Institution program and clearly outline their eligibility in their cover letter and/or resume:
- Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of the contract
- Full-time student in the previous semester
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Be returning to school in the fall
- Be registered with YCW candidate inventory– youngcanadaworks.ca.
Please forward your letter of application and resume by 4:30 pm on Monday, April 3, 2023, to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca
Apply in person at our student job fair; taking place on February 25, 2023, between 9:00 am – 12:30 pm at the Huron County Museum (110 North Street, Goderich ON).
To be considered for this position, please ensure that
- Email subject is “2023 – Seasonal Museum Assistant”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted February 2, 2023
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.