Calling all Students!
The County of Huron’s
Social and Property Services Department
is seeking a
Temporary Full-time Seasonal Maintenence Student to Join the Team!
The Maintenance Student will assist with day-to-day maintenance at Housing and Property Services facilities. The Maintenance Student will work at various locations across Huron County. The majority of this work will be outdoors, but occasionally indoor work is required. Working with Huron County staff and having interactions with tenants will be a common daily occurrence in this position.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
Role and Responsibilities:
- Maintain outdoor ground, including grass cutting, trimming, and cleanup of grounds
- General weeding of flower beds and other areas
- Responsible for operating lawn mowing equipment, including zero-turn lawnmowers and mid-sized tractors
- Support the maintenance of all lawn mowing equipment
- Operating small hand tools while assisting Maintenance Technicians
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of buildings, involving minor repairs
- Responsible for interior and exterior painting in a neat clean fashion
- Assist Building Custodian staff in cleaning County and community housing buildings, as required
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Grade 12 Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- Enrolled in a post-secondary college or university in September 2023
- Able to take direction via verbal and written communication
- Valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and reliable vehicle for use in corporate business
- The position requires a satisfactory Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screen
- Starting at $16.37 per hour, as per the 2022 non-union student wage grid; plus an additional $2.00 per hour for environmental factors.
- Ability to contribute to an OMERS pension plan.
Please forward your letter of application and resume by 4:30 pm on Friday, March 24, 2023, to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca
Apply in person at our student job fair; taking place on February 25, 2023, between 9:00 am – 12:30 pm at the Huron County Museum (110 North Street, Goderich ON).
We would love to have you join our team! To apply for this position, please ensure that:
- Email subject is “2023 – Seasonal Maintenance Student”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted – Feb 2, 2023
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.