The Corporation of the County of Huron
Public Works Department
Requires Three (3) Temporary Full Time
Roads Maintenance Student
Summary of Duties:
- Complete and assist with completing assigned tasks under the supervision of senior staff.
- Perform grounds keeping and assist with the upkeep of building exteriors and grounds, including grass cutting, weeding, planting and trimming.
- Ability to operate and maintain grounds keeping equipment such as lawn mowers, tractors, whipper snippers, blowers, etc.
- Experience in the use of hand and power tools to undertake minor maintenance and repairs to equipment, would be an asset.
- Student labourers shall provide their own safety shoes.
- Grass mowing and trimming
- Traffic control
- Road patching and roadside garbage pickup
- Other activities within the Public Works Department
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Candidates must be available for the full term of the seasonal contract
- Candidates must currently be enrolled and returning to full time studies in a post-secondary recognized educational institution on a full time basis and maintaining a course load of 3 or more courses in the fall of 2020.
- Documentation that provides proof of current enrolment as well as identifying your status in the program must be submitted with your application.
- Failure to provide documentation will disqualify you from future consideration.
- Excellent customer service and good interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to deal with the public courteously and efficiently
- Strong communication skills, able to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” certification would be an asset
- Candidates must provide their own CSA approved safety footwear and hardhat
- Must be physically able to perform all duties including heavy lifting, prolonged standing and walking on uneven surfaces
- Candidates are expected to work in all weather conditions
- Candidates must be able to provide their own transportation to and from home and the assigned patrol yard, and could be assigned to any patrol in Huron County
- Applicants must be available to attend an interview in person (interviews will not be conducted via the telephone and/or the internet)
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to produce the following documents at the time of interview:
- Proof of Current Insurance Coverage and current Driver’s Abstract
- Valid Ontario Drivers Licence, G2 (minimum)
Wages: As per 2019 non-union student wage grid. $15.58-$17.26/ hour
This position is located in various patrol areas.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca by 4:30PM March 9th, 2020.
To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
- Email subject line is “2020 Road Maintenance Student”
- cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Posted February 14/2020