The Corporation of the county of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged Department
Registered Practical Nurses for Huronview (Clinton) and Huronlea (Brussels)
Up to 37.5 hours biweekly with opportunity for additional hours, plus in lieu of benefits
Huronview and Huronlea Homes for the aged are Huron County’s municipal homes, providing health services for people who can no longer live independently in their own homes and need nursing and personal care 24 hours. As part of our multidisciplinary team, you will have opportunity to use your training and skills. If technology interests you, our care plans are computerized and orders are processed electronically. We offer opportunities for leadership and committee involvement where you can excel using your advanced communication skills. If you would like to join our very dynamic teams, then Huronlea and Huronview is for you!
Role and Responsibilities:
- Adherence of all policies, procedures and mission/vision/values statements of the Home.
- Maintain professionalism to all residents, staff, families, volunteers, community members and agency representatives.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of residents and staff as required under legislation and as per policies and procedures of the Home.
- Accepts responsibility for the quality of care and service provided.
- Provides nursing care consistent with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards, physician’s orders, the Long-Term Care Homes Act, and the Home policies.
- Is knowledgeable of the Resident Bill of Rights and endeavors to respect and promote it.
- Assesses the needs of individual residents and organizes for the provision of resident care under the direction of the Registered Nurse. Participates in the formulation of the Resident Care Plan, including discussion with residents and families, SDM/POA regarding needs and choices of each resident.
- Completes the assigned assessments within the required time frames.
- Assist in maintaining a physical and psycho-social environment, which meets the cultural, spiritual, psycho-social, and restorative needs of the resident.
- Supervises the nursing care provided by the Health Care Aide/Personal Support Worker.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in the oversight of the building, after hours and on weekends.
- Provides direct resident care, as needed in accordance with current and approved standards of care, policies, and procedures.
- Observes and reports significant changes in resident’s physical and emotional conditions in a manner which demonstrates respect and maintains privacy and confidentiality for each resident. Maintains accurate, timely and complete clinical records on all residents according to established documentation policies and procedures, and ensures confidentiality of these records.
- Under the supervision of an R.N., maintains the safekeeping of all drugs and prescribed treatments on the unit. Administers drugs and treatments according to procedure, maintaining accurate records.
- Shares responsibility in safely using and maintaining the equipment and supplies of the Homes, and the personal belongings of the residents.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies.
- Helps to maintain a safe, clean, odor free environment.
- Takes responsibility for personal ethical behavior using the Ethical Practice Guidelines of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Deals tactfully and courteously, maintaining effective communication and good interpersonal relations with residents, resident’s families, visitors, medical and allied staff members.
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and Home. If the nurse is a member of the Homes team they will attend the regularly scheduled meetings. Supports the Homes teams by facilitating employee attendance.
- Able to prioritize, use critical thinking and problem solving skills and respond to multiple demands.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled. Recognizes as a 24/7 operations, shift and weekend work is required.
- Takes responsibility for personal development including identification of own learning needs related to work and participates in the educational opportunities provided.
- Assists in training, guiding and supporting new staff through the orientation period and provides education to PSW/HCA when identified. Supports and participates in student and colleague education.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse/Associate Director of Care/Director of Care. Specific duties will be listed in the Job Routines.
- Understands the Homes fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains personal health and follows the facility policies regarding health and wellness promotion strategies (i.e. influenza vaccination policy, TBST).
Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- Nursing certificate and registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and computer skills.
- Assessment for Registered RN/RPN Level 1 2
- CAPCE training or P.I.E.C.E.S. training is an asset.
- Leadership and geriatric experience an asset.
- To provide holistic health care while working as a member of the multidisciplinary team, administering medications and treatments.
- To provide leadership and supervision to members of the health care team.
- R.P.N. pay range as per ONA is $27.46 – $31.82 plus 10% in lieu of benefits and 4% vacation pay. Shift premiums vary.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, The Huronview & Huronlea employees are not able to work for another employer in a health care setting to protect the Health & Safety of our staff and residents.
Please submit a copy of a current (within the last 6 months) TB Test and Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) with your application. Should you require an agency letter, contact Joel Paakkunainen via email at jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca and one will be provided. Please send your cover letter, resume, TB Test and VSS in one PDF document saved under your name to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca using Registered Practical Nurse as your subject line.
Posted May 5, 2021