The Corporation of the County of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged Department
Registered Practical Nurses to Join the Huronview (Clinton) and Huronlea (Brussels) Teams!
*** We have Temporary Full-time (75 hours bi-weekly), Part-time (45 hours biweekly) and Casual positions available at Huronview that offer up to 44.5 hours biweekly with the opportunity for additional hours, plus in lieu of benefits. At Huronlea, we have Temporary Part-time (45 hours biweekly) and Casual positions available that offer up to 44.5 hours biweekly with the opportunity for additional hours, plus in lieu of benefits.***
Huronview and Huronlea Homes for the aged are Huron County’s municipal homes, providing health services for people who can no longer live independently in their own homes and need nursing and personal care 24 hours a day. As part of our multidisciplinary team, you will have the opportunity to use your training and skills. If technology interests you, our care plans are computerized and orders are processed electronically. We offer opportunities for leadership and committee involvement where you can excel using your advanced communication skills. If you would like to join our very dynamic teams, then Huronlea and Huronview are for you!
Role and Responsibilities:
- Adherence to all policies, procedures and mission/vision/values statements of the Home.
- Maintain professionalism with all residents, staff, families, volunteers, community members and agency representatives.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of residents and staff as required under legislation and as per policies and procedures of the Home.
- Accepts responsibility for the quality of care and service provided.
- Provides nursing care consistent with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards, physician’s orders, the Long-Term Care Homes Act, and the Home policies.
- Is knowledgeable of the Resident Bill of Rights and endeavours to respect and promote it.
- Assesses the needs of individual residents and organizes the provision of resident care under the direction of the Registered Nurse. Participates in the formulation of the Resident Care Plan, including discussion with residents and families, SDM/POA regarding the needs and choices of each resident.
- Completes the assigned assessments within the required time frames.
- Assist in maintaining a physical and psycho-social environment, which meets the cultural, spiritual, psycho-social, and restorative needs of the resident.
- Supervises the nursing care provided by the Health Care Aide/Personal Support Worker.
- Assists the Registered Nurse in the oversight of the building, after hours and on weekends.
- Provides direct resident care, as needed in accordance with current and approved standards of care, policies, and procedures.
- Observe and reports significant changes in the resident’s physical and emotional conditions in a manner that demonstrates respect and maintains privacy and confidentiality for each resident. Maintains accurate, timely and complete clinical records on all residents according to established documentation policies and procedures, and ensures the confidentiality of these records.
- Under the supervision of an R.N., maintains the safekeeping of all drugs and prescribed treatments on the unit. Administers drugs and treatments according to the procedure, maintaining accurate records.
- Shares responsibility for safely using and maintaining the equipment and supplies of the Homes, and the personal belongings of the residents.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies.
- Helps to maintain a safe, clean, odour-free environment.
- Takes responsibility for personal ethical behaviour using the Ethical Practice Guidelines of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Deals tactfully and courteously, maintaining effective communication and good interpersonal relations with residents, residents’ families, visitors, and medical and allied staff members.
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and Home. If the nurse is a member of the Homes team they will attend the regularly scheduled meetings. Supports the Homes teams by facilitating employee attendance.
- Able to prioritize, use critical thinking and problem-solving skills and respond to multiple demands.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled. Recognizes as a 24/7 operations, shift and weekend work is required.
- Takes responsibility for personal development including identification of own learning needs related to work and participates in the educational opportunities provided.
- Assists in training, guiding and supporting new staff through the orientation period and provides education to PSW/HCA when identified. Supports and participates in student and colleague education.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse/Associate Director of Care/Director of Care. Specific duties will be listed in the Job Routines.
- Understands the Homes fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains personal health and follows the facility policies regarding health and wellness promotion strategies (i.e. influenza vaccination policy, TBST).
Qualifications and Preferred Skills:
- Nursing certificate and registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and computer skills.
- Assessment for Registered RN/RPN Level 1 2
- CAPCE training or P.I.E.C.E.S. training is an asset.
- Leadership and geriatric experience are assets.
- To provide holistic health care while working as a member of the multidisciplinary team, administering medications and treatments.
- To provide leadership and supervision to members of the health care team.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
- R.P.N. pay range as per SEIU is $28.50 – $33.02 plus 10% in lieu of benefits and 4% vacation pay. Shift premiums vary.
- A condition of employment is proof of COVID -19 immunization.
This position requires the submission of a current (within the last 6 months) TB2 Test and Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). Please consider submitting these items prior to the interview, as the process of obtaining them is often delayed. Please contact Joel Paakkunainen via email at jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca for an agency letter to be submitted with your VSC application.
Please send your cover letter, resume, TB Test and VSS in one PDF document saved under your name to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca using Registered Practical Nurse as your subject line including the name of the Home you are applying to.
Posted December 8, 2022