The County of Huron’s
Cultural Services-Museum Department
is seeking a
Part-time Museum Exhibit and Collection Assistant to Join the Team!
The Museum Exhibit & Collection Assistant assists with exhibition development – building & maintenance of exhibits and displays at the Huron County Museum & Historic Gaol. Additionally, the position works with curatorial staff in regard to the care of the artifacts in the Museum collection including cataloging, inventory, and storage of the Museum’s artifacts.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
Role and Responsibilities:
- Installs and disassembles exhibits. Handles, moves, packs and unpacks artifacts for exhibits, storage and loan. Mounts and prepares objects for display. Constructs and maintains Museum exhibits.
- Catalogues Museum & Archival collections, using the collections management computer system to maintain an accurate and complete artifact record. Assists with artifact photography and storage.
- Assists with records updating and reconciliation in regard to Museum artifact collections.
- Follows conservation standards and procedures to maintain the historical integrity of the Huron Historic Gaol and the log cabin in any maintenance, repair and modification.
- Assists with the preservation of the exhibits and artifacts. Practices preventative conservation under the direction of the curatorial staff.
- Assists with set up for rentals, special events, and programs.
- Some front desk reception, including greeting and directing visitors, and collecting admissions
- Works some weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Experience in one or more crafts or trades, ex. carpentry.
- Training in Museum studies with care and handling of artifacts, collections management and exhibition.
- 2 years experience
- Designs and/or constructs museum exhibits, frames, display cases, and lighting, through the use of carpentry, painting glazing and electrical.
- Ability to use a variety of hand tools and stationary tools, as well as specialized equipment such as forklifts and scaffolding.
- Experience and computer competency in Museum collections management & databases.
- Physically fit and able to lift artifacts up to 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driver’s record and ability to operate a cargo van
- $25.12 – $29.38 per hour; as per the 2022 non-union pay grid
Please forward your letter of application and resume by 4:30 pm on Monday, October 24, 2022, to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca
We would love to have you join our team! To apply for this position, please ensure that:
- Email subject is “2022 – Museum Exhibit and Collection Assistant”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Posted – September 30, 2022
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.