The Corporation of the County of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged Department
is seeking a
Permanent Full-time (Nights) Registered Nurse to Join the Huronview Team!
Huronview and Huronlea Homes for the aged are Huron County’s municipal homes, providing health services for people who can no longer live independently in their own homes and need nursing and personal care 24 hours. As part of our multidisciplinary team, you will have the opportunity to use your training and skills. If technology interests you, our care plans are computerized and orders are processed electronically. We offer opportunities for leadership and committee involvement where you can excel using your advanced communication skills. If you would like to join our very dynamic teams, then Huronlea and Huronview are for you!
The role of the Registered Nurse is to provide quality care as part of an interdisciplinary team, consistent with the plan of care and the Resident Bill of Rights. Within the team, assists the residents with activities of daily living, with the intention of maintaining or improving independence, promoting wellness and health, and preventing disease. The Registered Nurse acts in a leadership role for the RPNs and PSWs. The Registered Nurse follows and ensures another nursing staff follows the policies and procedures of the Home.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Liaison with colleagues, interdisciplinary team members, employees of the home, residents, families, volunteers, community members, and agency representatives.
- Adherence to all policies, procedures and mission/vision/values statements of the Home.
- Maintain professionalism with all residents, staff, families, volunteers, community members and agency representatives.
- Maintains confidentiality and privacy of residents and staff as required under legislation and as per policies and procedures of the Home.
- Accepts responsibility for the quality of care and service provided.
- Provides nursing care consistent with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards, physician’s orders, the Long-Term Care Homes Act, and the Home’s policies.
- Assesses a resident’s condition by recognizing and interpreting signs and symptoms, and where appropriate, initiates remedial health measures.
- Ensures the completion of assessments within the required time frames.
- Collaborate with the resident, family, SDM/POA, and multi-disciplinary team members to develop and maintain current resident care plans that meet the individualized resident’s needs and wishes.
- Maintains accurate and complete clinical records on all residents according to established documentation policies and procedures and ensures the confidentiality of these records.
- Computer skills are required for documentation of resident care, and data entry of RAI/RAPS MDS that is accurate and complete according to the policies.
- Assists in maintaining a physical and psychosocial environment, which meets the cultural, spiritual and psycho-social and restorative needs of the residents.
- Shares responsibility for safely using and maintaining equipment and supplies of the home, and the personal belongings of the residents.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies. Assists in maintaining adequate quantities of nursing care supplies on the unit.
- Assesses the care provided for end-of-life care, giving specific instructions to those providing care and offering support to the family of these residents.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled. Accepts that as a 24/7 operation, shift and weekend work is required.
- Takes responsibility for personal development including identification of own learning needs related to work and participating in the educational opportunities provided. Supports and participates in student and colleague education. Assists in training, guiding and supporting new staff through the orientation period, and provides ongoing education identified, to the staff.
- Is knowledgeable of the Resident Bill of Rights and endeavours to respect and promote it.
- Supervises the nursing care provided by the Registered Practical Nurse and the Personal Support Worker/ Health Care Aid.
- Participates in the facility and departmental teams as able. If the nurse is a member of the Home’s team they will attend the regularly scheduled meetings. Supports the Home’s teams by facilitating employee attendance.
- Participates in activities related to the infection control program, resident safety and quality, etc.
- Maintains the safe keeping of all drugs and prescribed treatments on the unit, ordering and reordering drugs as required. Administers drugs and treatments according to the procedure, maintaining accurate records.
- Ensures orders are correctly processed and followed through according to the established procedures.
- Is responsible for the building, residents and staff after hours and on weekends.
- Ability to prioritize, use critical thinking and problem-solving skills and respond to multiple demands in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Takes responsibility for personal ethical behaviour using the ethical practice guidelines of the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Deals tactfully and courteously, maintaining effective communication and good interpersonal relations with residents, residents’ families, visitors, and medical and allied staff members.
- Promotes a positive team spirit within the department and facility.
- Performs on-call responsibilities and other job-related duties as required.
- Assists the Director of Care/Associate Director of Care/ Charge Nurse in training, supervising and evaluating departmental nursing personnel. Takes an active leadership role in the department. Keeps the Director of Care/Associate Director of Care/ Charge Nurse informed of any staff members whose performance is less than satisfactory.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Charge Nurse/Associate Director of Care/Director of Care. Specific duties will be listed in the job routines.
- Understands the Homes fire and disaster plan.
- Maintains personal health and follows the facility policies regarding health and wellness promotion strategies (i.e. influenza vaccination policy, TBST).
- Nursing certificate and registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and computer skills.
- Assessment for Registered RN/RPN Level 1 2
- CAPCE training or P.I.E.C.E.S. training is an asset.
- Leadership and geriatric experience are assets.
- To provide holistic health care while working as a member of the multidisciplinary team, administering medications and treatments.
- To provide leadership and supervision to members of the health care team.
- As per ONA collective agreement $34.49 – $49.37, plus benefits and an OMERS pension plan.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
*A condition of employment is the submission of proof of immunization against COVID-19*
This position requires the submission of a current (within the last 6 months) TB2 Test and Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). Please consider submitting these items prior to the interview, as the process of obtaining them is often delayed. Please contact Joel Paakkunainen via email at jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca for an agency letter to be submitted with your VSC application.
Please send your cover letter, resume, TB Test and VSS in one PDF document saved under your name to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca using “Full-time Registered Nurse” as your subject line.
Posted August 26, 2022
We look forward to hearing from you!