The Corporation of the County of Huron
Public Works, Fleet Services
Requires Temporary Full Time
Summary of Duties:
- This position is responsible for various service student technician tasks including, but not limited to:
- Perform basic equipment/vehicle care and maintenance, including changing oil, checking fluid levels, and rotating tires.
- Assisting other mechanic(s) in performing technical activities
- Diagnostics and repairs of hydraulics and electrical.
- Fabricating and welding
- Completing work orders for tasks completed.
- Housekeeping duties around the shop and yard.
- Other activities within the Public Works Department which may include grass mowing and trimming and traffic control.
- Candidates must be available for the full term of the seasonal contract, beginning May 11, 2020 and ending August 30, 2020
- Candidates must currently be enrolled and returning to full time studies in a post-secondary Motive Power Technician or equivalent recognized program on a full time basis and maintaining a course load of 3 or more courses in the fall of 2020. Documentation that provides proof of current enrolment as well as identifying your status in the program must be submitted with your application. Failure to provide documentation will disqualify you from future consideration
- Excellent customer service and good interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to deal with the public courteously and efficiently
- Strong communication skills, able to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
- Current Forklift and Standard First Aid and CPR “C” certification would be an asset
- Candidates must provide their own CSA approved safety footwear and hardhat
- Must be physically able to perform all duties including heavy lifting, prolonged standing and walking on uneven surfaces
- Candidates are expected to work in all weather conditions
- Candidates must be able to provide their own transportation to and from home and the assigned Auburn patrol yard, and could be assigned to any patrol in Huron County
- Applicants must be available to attend an interview in person (interviews will not be conducted via the telephone and/or the internet)
Candidates selected for an interview will be required to produce the following documents at the time of interview:
- Proof of Current Insurance Coverage and current Driver’s Abstract
- Valid Ontario Drivers License, G2 (minimum)
Wages: As per 2019 non-union student wage grid. $15.58-$17.26/ hour.
This position is located in Auburn.
Please forward a cover letter and resume to humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca by 4:30PM March 9th, 2020.
To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
- Email subject line is “2020 Fleet Student”
- cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Date Posted: February 14/2020