Huronview (Clinton) and Huronlea (Brussels)
Homes for the Aged
Permanent Full Time Environmental Services Manager
The Environmental Services Manager is responsible for planning, organizing and managing the overall operations of the Environmental Services department for both of the County’s Homes for the Aged and Apartments. Core functions of this position include the setting of standards, development of methods and processes, supervision of personnel, contracting of vendors and the supervision of capital projects. This position will collaborate with other departments to meet the standards established by the Homes and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care, and to maintain the Homes in a healthy, safe and attractive manner.
- Post secondary certification in the Environmental Services Management program or equivalent degree in a related field.
- Certificate in Housekeeping Management and/or Infection Control Practices or equivalent an asset.
- Minimum of two years management experience in a health care setting, with a focus on maintenance/environmental services supervision in a Long Term Care Home or related field.
- Excellent knowledge of the Long Term Care Act and Regulations relating to Environmental Services, Ontario Building Code, Fire Code, WHMIS, Bill C-45.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices and, if there are none, prevailing practices relating to housekeeping, laundry and maintenance, as applicable
Good knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, municipal bylaws and any other related legislations.
- Advanced ability to effectively manage changing conditions and continuous improvements; be adaptable and receptive to new ideas and change. Act as a positive change agent within the Homes for the Aged.
- Strong ability to understand the requirement for privacy, to respect confidentiality of information and to practice tact and diplomacy.
- Advanced ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral, with co-workers, residents, supervisors, visitors and contractors.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Directs environmental services employees including recruitment, staffing, performance development, scheduling, planning and supervision of work. This includes housekeeping, laundry, handypersons and maintenance staff.
- Must possess a good understanding of carpentry, plumbing, heating and electrical trades, emergency/fire alarm systems and general maintenance including janitorial and grounds keeping.
- Responsible for all housekeeping and laundry employees and services for residents of the Homes and apartment tenants, including the provision of appropriate infection control audits and policy development. Leads infection control team to ensure homes are meeting all health and proper environmental infection control practices.
- Responsible for asset management of building and equipment of the homes and apartments in cooperation with Property Services where applicable.
Responsible for fire safety and emergency services policy development and training for all Homes employees.
- Responsible for security and building risk management activities and policy development and implementation, including equipment preventative maintenance practices, compliance and ministry audits.
- Responsible to identify and implement energy conservation strategies and practices across the homes and apartments.
- Supports employees in the implementation of policies, procedures, guidelines, and documentation standards related to environmental services in the homes.
- Prepares and administers annual operating and capital budgets for the department including regular reporting of financial status and other relevant statistical information. Coordinates capital projects with Property Services, where applicable.
- Effective communication and written skills, computer skills and demonstrated leadership, collaborative and organizational skills.
- Maintains a positive relationship with contractors / vendors and participates in preferred contractor / vendor selection as required.
Conditions of Employment:
An offer of employment will be made on condition that the County of Huron receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Vulnerable Sector Screen at the time of the interview, and a current two-step tuberculosis test (obtained within the past twelve (12) months) by the first day of employment. Should you require a new Vulnerable Sector Check, please email Ashley Wisser at email@example.com for an agency letter and one will be provided.
Salary Range: Non-Union Grade 11 $40.38-45.25. Compensation includes a competitive benefits package and pension plan.
Please forward your letter of application and resume by 4:30pm Monday March 11th, 2019 to:
Email: humanresources [at] huroncounty [dot] ca – please attach one PDF document.
County of Huron
1 Courthouse Square
Goderich, Ontario N7A 1M2
Confidential Fax: 519.524.4172
Posted February 19, 2019