The County of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged Department
Casual Cooks to Join the Huronlea (Brussels) and Huronview (Clinton) Teams!
Do you want to make a difference throughout the pandemic and beyond? Come join our team!
Huronview and Huronlea Homes for the Aged are Huron County’s municipal homes, providing health services for people who can no longer live independently in their own homes. Huronlea Home for the Aged has an opening for one Casual Cook. The cook is responsible for preparing residents’ meals, snacks and desserts according to pre-planned menus and ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the food service area.
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
Role and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and cook residents’ meals, snacks, and desserts according to pre-planned menus, recipes and procedures.
- Shares responsibility for safe use and maintenance of equipment/supplies.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies.
- Responsible to call all hazardous, unauthorized or unsafe conditions or situations to the attention of the Manager in order that they may be corrected.
- Directs all inquiries regarding residents’ care and conditions to a registered staff member.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled.
- Assists in training, guiding and supporting new staff through the orientation period.
- Work in accordance with sanitation and safety procedures.
- Replaces staff as required in the absence of the Supervisor and Director.
- Specific procedures will be listed on the Job Routines and/or assigned by the Manager.
- Perform other duties as directed, within the expected scope of the practice of the Cook.
- Large batch cooking experience in an institutional or hospitality setting (ex. restaurant, catering, daycare).
- Culinary Management or Chef training.
- Current safe food handling certificate.
- Previous experience with the elderly is preferred.
- A condition of employment is proof of COVID -19 immunization.
- As per SEIU Collective Agreement. Start rate $24.28 – $ 27.30 plus 10% in lieu of benefits and 4% vacation pay.
This position requires the submission of a current (within the last 6 months) TB Test and Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). Please consider submitting these items prior to the interview, as the process of obtaining them is often delayed. Please contact Joel Paakkunainen via email at jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca for an agency letter to be submitted with your VSC application.
- To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
- email subject line is “2023 Cook Staff – and the Home to which you are applying”
- a cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- PDF file name is your: First name and Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Posted: December 8, 2022