The Corporation of the County of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged Department
Casual Cooks for Huronlea (Brussels) and Huronview (Clinton)
Do you want to make a difference throughout the pandemic and beyond? Come join our team!
Huronview and Huronlea Homes for the Aged are Huron County’s municipal homes, providing health services for people who can no longer live independently in their own homes. Huronlea Home for the Aged has an opening for one Casual Cook. The cook is responsible for preparing residents’ meals, snacks and desserts according to pre-planned menus and ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the food service area.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and cook residents’ meals, snacks, and desserts according to pre-planned menus, recipes and procedures.
- Shares responsibility in safe use and maintenance of equipment/supplies.
- Ensures efficient use of supplies.
- Responsible to call all hazardous, unauthorized or unsafe conditions or situations to the attention of the Manager in order that they may be corrected.
- Directs all inquiries regarding residents’ care and conditions to a registered staff member.
- Maintains a good attendance record and accepts responsibility for working as scheduled.
- Assists in training, guiding and supporting new staff through the orientation period.
- Work in accordance with sanitation and safety procedures.
- Replaces staff as required in the absence of the Supervisor and Director.
- Specific procedures will be listed on the Job Routines and/or assigned by the Manager.
- Perform other duties as directed, within the expected scope of the practice of the Cook.
- Large batch cooking experience in an institutional or hospitality setting (ex. restaurant, catering, daycare).
- Culinary Management or Chef training.
- Current safe food handling certificate.
- Previous experience with the elderly is preferred.
- As per SEIU Collective Agreement. Start rate $23.39 – $ 26.30 plus in lieu of benefits and vacation pay.
Preference will be given to applicants who submit a copy of a current (within the last 6 months) TB Test and Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) with their application. Should you require an agency letter, contact Joel Paakkunainen via email at jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca and one will be provided. Please send your cover letter, resume, TB Test and VSS in one PDF document to: humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca.
- To be considered for this position, please ensure your:
- email subject line is “2021 Cook Staff”
- cover letter is a maximum of one page long
- cover letter and resume are saved together in one pdf file
- pdf file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. “Jane Smith.pdf”)
Posted: September 10, 2021