The Corporation of the County of Huron’s
Homes for the Aged department
Is Seeking a
Temporary (up to 6 months) Part-time COVID Support Staff/Screener to Join the Huronlea (Brussels) Teams!
Huronview and Huronlea are sister Homes in the County of Huron. These municipal homes provide health services for those who can no longer live independently in their own homes and require nursing and personal care 24 hours a day. Our mission is to provide quality, compassionate care in a homelike environment while our vision is to foster a caring environment with the open possibilities of life’s continued journey. The teamwork at the Homes for the Aged is cohesive, and a collaborative approach where various healthcare professionals with diverse knowledge, skills and talents come together to achieve the goals based upon the health needs and preferences of the residents who reside at the Homes
What We Offer:
At the County of Huron, we’re committed to offering a modern work environment that puts people first. We are a Certified Living Wage employer that values equity, diversity and inclusion. We offer our staff competitive wages and a comprehensive benefits package.
The County of Huron offers a diverse portfolio of employment opportunities. When you join our team, you’ll have the benefit of working with and learning from, people who have a broad range of skills and knowledge. We offer training, mentorship, and career development opportunities to all staff. When you work for the County of Huron, you invest in the community, and you benefit from seeing the results of your efforts firsthand. It’s a great place to work!
Learn more about working for the County of Huron: https://vimeo.com/699170923
Roles and Responsibilities:
- The role of the COVID-19 Support Staff/Screener will be an integral part of a collaborative, multidisciplinary team focused on delivering seamless services and programs to our residents and customers. You will have front-line contact with staff, essential visitors, admissions and readmissions at our entrances to ensure screening, hand sanitization and PPE are worn in accordance with Public Health guidelines.
- In addition to the screening-this role will also ensure screening areas are clean, presentable and organized while assisting with sanitizing high-touch surfaces. Screening tools will be used by the screener and collected and filed as per the Homes for the Aged practices.
- This role also assists in the coordination and supervision of indoor/outdoor visits between residents and families in addition to ensuring visitors are screened, logged through documentation and masked as per Ministry of Health (MOH) & Public Health direction. Portering residents to and from visits and/or guiding residents to the visiting area is key in meeting the scheduled visiting time.
- This role will assist administrative staff with tasks such as but not limited to scheduling visits, ensuring an adequate supply of screening tools are available, assisting with photocopying, assisting in preparing mail-out material and other duties as assigned by administrative staff.
- Assist with answering the Homes main phone line and relaying the message
- Assist Medical Secretary with managing resident files/charts
- Assist Payroll Clerk with filing, as needed
- Assist Program Manager with scheduling family visits
- Assist Environmental Services Manager with PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) supplies in the nursing areas, as needed
- Assist with COVID-19 testing clinics by ensuring proper paperwork is completed
- The COVID-19 Support Staff/Screener will assist with emptying the dropbox and cleaning items as required before delivery to resident rooms. Items that cannot be cleaned will be housed in isolated areas as recommended by Public Health.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Completion of Grade 12 Diploma
- Effective communication skills and ability to relate to peers and seniors in a Long-Term Care Facility.
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to time manage and multi-task.
- Willingness to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Screening Police Check. Please consider obtaining this before the interview, as the process is often delayed. Please contact Joel Paakkunainen jpaakkunainen[at]huroncounty[dot]ca for an agency letter to include with your application.
- A condition of employment is the submission of proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Experience working with seniors and/or chronic care residents in a health care facility or community setting, with a genuine interest in and concern for seniors.
- Ability to read and understand written and verbal instructions for the operation of equipment and the ability to absorb a suitable course of in-service training.
- Demonstrates maturity and tact.
- Willingness to adapt to schedule changes to meet the needs of the Homes for the Aged.
- $21.49 – $25.14 Level 2 on the 2022 non-union wage grid, plus in lieu of benefit pay
Please forward your letter of application and resume as soon as possible to humanresources[at]huroncounty[dot]ca
We would love to have you join our team! To apply for this position, please ensure that:
- Email subject is “2022 – COVID Support Staff/Screener – Huronlea”
- The cover letter is a maximum of one page
- Cover letter and resume are saved together in one PDF file
- The PDF file name is your: First name Last name (e.g. Jane Smith)
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Posted – September 13, 2022
Don’t meet every single requirement?
Studies have shown that women are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles. At the County of Huron, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace.