Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for rent-geared-to-income housing?

An application form must be completed to apply for housing. Copies are available online or by contacting Huron County Housing Services. Upon verification of eligibility, your application will be added to our central waiting list.

How soon will I know if I am on the waiting list?

When your application is received, it will be reviewed to be sure that all required information is included. You will be notified in writing within seven business days as to whether you are eligible for geared-to-income assistance, or if additional information is needed for your application. If you are eligible, you will be told you are placed on the waiting lists for the locations you selected, and the number of bedrooms your household qualifies for.

What happens while I’m waiting for Housing?

It is important that you keep your application up to date in order to stay on the centralized waiting list and maintain your eligibility status. You must report any changes to the information you previously submitted within 15 business days of the change taking place or your application can be cancelled and your name removed from the waiting list.

Can I refuse to accept a unit?

You can refuse to move into housing offered by Housing Services however, if three reasonable offers are refused, the household will be removed from the waiting list.

If I own my own home, do I still qualify?

If you own, or have a legal interest in a residential property that can be lived in year-round, you will be required to sell your interest in the property within six months after you have moved into geared-to-income assisted housing.

Does the County of Huron provide Emergency Housing?

No, the County of Huron does not have nor provide Emergency