Preamble: History of Township Names and List of Assessors
Back to Preamble and Notes main page
Index of Townships
<-- Preamble: Map of the Huron District | Notes: Column Headings -->
Welcome Page | Huron County Library
History of Huron District Township names
- Ashfield Township
- Named after a village in Suffolk, England.
- Biddulph Township
- Takes its name from Robert Biddulph, one of the original directors of the Canada Company.
- Blanshard Township
- Named after Richard Blanshard, one of the first directors of the Canada Company. He was appointed first governor of Vancouver Island in 1849.
- Colborne Township
- The Township of Colborne takes its name from Sir John Colborne. At the battle of Waterloo he conducted the decisive movement of the light infantry which secured the victory. He was also the founder of Upper Canada College in Toronto.
- Downie Township
- Named after Robert Downie, M.P., a director of the Canada Company. Mr. Downie was one of the first directors of the Company.
- Ellice Township
- Named after the Right Hon. Edward Ellice, one of the first directors of the Canada Company. He spent many years in Montreal in connection with the major fur trading companies.
- Fullarton Township
- Named after John Fullarton, Director of the Canada Company.
- Town of Goderich and Goderich Township
- Named after Right Hon. Frederick John Robinson, Viscount Goderich. He had much to do with Canadian affairs during the 1837 Rebellion period.
- Hay Township
- Named in honor of R. W. Hay, joint Secretary for the Colonies with Lord Stanley.
- Hibbert Township
- Named after William T. Hibbert, Junior, Director of the Canada Company.
- Hullett Township
- Named after John Hullett, one of the first directors of the Canada Company.
- Logan Township
- Named after Hart Logan, director of the Canada Company.
- McGillivray Township
- Named after Simon McGillivray, Director of the Canada Company.
- McKillop Township
- Named after James McKillop, M.P., one of the first directors of the Canada Company.
- North and South Easthope Townships
- Named after Sir John Easthope, M.P., a director of the Canada Company. He became proprietor of the Morning Chronicle, organ of the Liberal party.
- Stanley Township
- Named after Edward Geoffrey Smith Stanley, 14th Earl of Derby, who served as Secretary of the Colonies in Britain.
- Stephen Township
- Named after James Stephen, Junior, the Under Secretary of State for the Colonies in the time of Lord Goderich and Lord Glenelg.
- Tuckersmith Township
- Named after Martin Tucker-Smith, of London, banker, one of the original directors of the Canada Company.
- Usborne Township
- Named after Henry Usborne, one of the first directors of the Canada Company.
- Williams Township
- Named after William Williams, M.P., Deputy Governor of the Canada Company.
List of Assessors
- George Barber
- Township Assessed: McGillivray.
- Duncan Campbell
- Township Assessed: Williams.
- William Cashin
- Townships Assessed: Blanshard, Downie, Fullarton.
- George Cox
- Townships Assessed: Goderich Town, Goderich Township.
- William Hodgins
- Township Assessed: Biddulph.
- Thomas Johnston
- Township Assessed: Ashfield (including Wawanosh).
- George Morris
- Township Assessed: Stanley.
- William Muir
- Townships Assessed: Hullett, Tuckersmith.
- Thomas Reddie
- Township Assessed: Ellice.
- Peter Robertson
- Township Assessed: Colborne.
- Thomas Rowtcliff
- Townships Assessed: Hay, Stephen, Usborne.
- Duncan Stewart
- Township Assessed: North Easthope.
- John Yagge
- Township Assessed: South Easthope.
- James Young
- Townships Assessed: Hibbert, Logan, McKillop.
Back to top
This web page was created by Patrick Rourke at the Goderich Branch Library during the summer of 1998, sponsored by Young Canada Works in Heritage Institutions.
Last Modified: Friday, August 28, 1998. To give feedback about this web site, email the Goderich Branch Library.
© 1998, Huron County Library