Forms (PDFs)
Authorization to Disclose Personal Information

Release to Law Enforcement Agency
View Ambulance (EMS) Press Releases
jump to service

911 graphic

What is 9-1-1?

9-1-1 is an emergency telephone number that makes it easy for you to get urgent ambulance, fire or police assistance. This easy to remember three-digit number is used throughout Huron County and most of North America.

When should I call 9-1-1?

Dial 9-1-1 when you need emergency assistance - to call for medical help, report a fire, or report a crime in progress - whenever you or someone around you is in a life-threatening situation.

What happens when I call 9-1-1?

The 9-1-1 call taker will ask if you require ambulance, fire or police assistance. Your call will be quickly transferred to the appropriate emergency dispatcher.

Stay on the line and be prepared to answer all questions asked; answering questions does not delay emergency response. For medical emergencies, be prepared to answer the following questions related to the patient's condition:

  • Is the patient conscious
  • Is the patient breathing
  • The address or location and main intersection of where the patient is located
  • The telephone number you are calling from
  • Your name

If at all possible, do not hang up the telephone until the 9-1-1 call taker tells you to.

I accidentally dialled 9-1-1!

If you call 9-1-1 by mistake, stay on the line to tell the 9-1-1 operator that everything is okay. If you hang up, the operator may call you back and/or dispatch a police vehicle to investigate.

Calling 911: Be Prepared

Make sure you and your children know your complete address and phone number; have it written by the phone. If you live in a town or village, know your town, street and house number. If you live in a rural area your address includes:

  • Township
  • Name of your road
  • Your 9-1-1 address number (Rural residents should regularly check to make sure 9-1-1 address numbers are free of obstacles such as snow, brush and tall grasses.)

What is an Emergency?

People often have difficulty deciding whether a medical problem is serious in nature. The following are a few examples of when you require emergency medical care --- and 911 should be called immediately:

  • Experiencing pains or tightness in the chest
  • When you have severe pain
  • When you have shortness of breath
  • When a person is choking or having difficulty breathing
  • When you think you may have fractured or broken a bone
  • When you think a wound may require stitches
  • When you have sudden, severe headaches, vision problems, sudden weakness, numbness and/or tingling in the face, arm or leg, trouble speaking or dizziness
  • If your child has diarrhea or vomiting and won't eat or drink

Remember: If you have any doubts, call 911. The paramedics will take you to the appropriate emergency department

What to do in an Emergency?

In the event of a medical or traumatic emergency, the most important thing to remember is to remain calm. Immediately dial 9-1-1 and request the appropriate emergency service - Police, Fire, or Ambulance. The 9-1-1 call taker will connect you with the appropriate service and ensure that help is on the way. Always remember the following points:

  • Stay calm and give clear information
  • Provide accurate directions to your location
  • Do not move the patient, unless his or her life is being threatened
  • Make sure someone stays with the person requiring help
  • If additional help is available, have someone meet the ambulance and direct the paramedics to the patient
  • If your call is at night, turn on the outside lights of your house, or the four-way flashers of your vehicle, so paramedics can see your location
  • If you live in an apartment, try to have someone meet the paramedics at the lobby door

For non-emergency calls

Ambulance, police and fire departments throughout Huron County all have administrative telephone numbers to receive non-emergency calls. In these cases, use the following telephone numbers:

POLICE Ontario Provincial Police - Huron Detachment: 519.524.8314
Wingham Police Services: 519.357.1214
AMBULANCE Emergency Medical Services: 519.524.8394 ext. 507
FIRE Refer to your area telephone book blue pages to contact your local fire department

What is a 9-1-1 Number?

Your civic address is your 9-1-1 Number which includes your road or street name.

How do I get a 9-1-1 Number?

To obtain a new 9-1-1 or Civic address for a new property contact your local municipal office.

I live in an urban area, are there specific requirements for the size and placement of my house number?

It is recommended that your house number be at least 5 inches in height and be made of reflective material. The placement should be on the front of the house or building facing the roadway.

Do not place the number where it may become blocked from view by a vehicle, covered by foliage, seasonal decorations or snow.

For some properties, it may be wise to place one number at the roadway on the privacy fence or gate and one number on the house itself. This address can be used by others for reporting an emergency involving your property or for those requiring assistance on the roadway.